I’ve got a student graduating and applying for jobs. With one company, he’s in the middle of a three-stage interview. The first stage was conducted over email, and he was asked the following questions:
- What software development books do you think are the best? Which ones are on your bookshelf?
- What authors or public personas do you think have the best ideas on software development?
- What seminars or conferences did you attend last year or do you routinely attend?
- Have you contributed to any open source projects? If so, which ones? If not, is any code that you wrote on BitHub/CodeProject or a site like it?
- Are you on Stack Overflow or any site like it? What is your username?
I like these. I’d wager that a graduating student that has answers to any of these is a step above most of his peers.