Here are my Madeup models:
1. Tornado Alley:
2. Parametric Shapes (based off these shapes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parametric_equation#/media/File:Param_03.jpg)
After reviewing the syntax and the going through the examples on the blog, I experimented with slight variations on the existing examples to get a feel for how Madeup worked under the hood. I played around with the tools provided, but I never really had a clear vision of what I wanted to make until I looked at some examples of parametric functions online. Once I found a few I liked, all I needed to do was break up the syntax and move my madeup cursor to each (x,y) position. Before I was uncertain how “moveto” differentiated itself from the translate function, but now I can see that Madeup offers a much deeper learning experienced than I initially bargained for.
Many of the challenges I experienced working with Madeup involved some difficulty translating some of the more complex math equations into madeup friendly syntax. With my “Parametric Shapes” model above, I found it rather difficult to get the bracing to line up just right without messing up the x,y coordinate pairs. Overall, I learned that you can never have too few parentheses. The other issue came when I attempted to execute my models when I had named variables with an underscore (‘_’). It seemed that the compiler would come to a halt when it came across a variable with these characters and I had to remove them altogether to get results. The last challenge, came from the uncertainty of how many shapes could madeup process at any given time. Sometimes I could render 2-3 shapes, but when I scaled them up or added more copies, I could only get the wire frame to appear.
1. This wasn’t so much the code behind madeup, but rather the graphical interface itself that had some technical hiccups. When I was playing around with the screen size I found that sometimes I would get a blank screen that would either flash or stay altogether.
2. I couldn’t tell if this was a result of me passing in the wrong parameter values but I managed to get a “core dumped” error message when running the bottom example. If it’s a parameter error, then maybe a helpful error message would do the trick.